Friday 21 February 2014

Guest post: Emilio writes for the first time

The dreaded flu: First, it hit Emilio over the weekend. He stayed in his pjs all day Sunday and appeared miserable, staying awake only to self-medicate and watch an episode or 2 (or 6 or 10 or 20) of Game of Thrones on his computer (I continue not to understand how someone can be so sick and still be able to watch television series!). I was confident that I was made of sterner stuff and would escape the dreaded lurgy but was shown to be wrong when I collapsed into bed on Tuesday afternoon, in my day clothes, after putting Baby Koala to bed.  I am feeling tones better today but have a lot to catch up on. In the meantime, here is Emilio's notes on a wine he drank recently which I'm only allowed to cut and paste and not edit. 

With this entry we start something that our blog lady leader would like to continue with some more of you guys… The guest posts…
Basically these posts can contain anything regarding eating or drinking or any combination including party!
As a first guest “poster” I will introduce myself as Emilio… Yes, the Emilio Azura cannot stop talking about. She is so cute… In this entrance I want to draw your attention to a region in Spain that is starting to gain momentum , although Azura does not particularly like it, and to a wine of that region, that surely not many of you know (I did not know it until I bought it).
The region is called Toro, and is situated a little bit west, not far away from Ribera del Duero. The traditional grape of this region is called tinta de toro, and as tinto fino (or tinta fina) is the variety of the tempranillo that is cultivated there. The wines of this region are very characteristic of strong bodies, although not extremely high in tannins.  It is becoming a very famous region as several actors, including Gerard Depardieu, invested in bodegas and wines from Toro.
The wine that I am going to talk now is called Juan Rojo, from 2006, manufactured with grapes from the area called “Pago de Matarredonda”. This was the second time I tried the wine, being the first one like a year ago, and it greatly surprised me, as I did not remember it being that complex.

It took the wine around 45 minutes to open, and when it did, I could perceive delicious aromas to butter, toffee and a touch of leather. I thought to myself… Surely it is because it is a reserve, which tends to fit better this description, but when I read the label I saw that it had only been 8 months in a French wooden barrel. And then I remembered the first time that I tried it and did not recall it smelling like this. The bigger surprise came when I tried it, as I was already expecting it to be aged and buttery, but to my surprise, it was very fruity. Primarily red berries, not much black fruits. 


It was a very nice tasting, and surely I will buy another bottle, even more considering that the price is quite doable (slightly over 14 euro transport included), but surely I will let it rest at least six months, before I give it another go.


No comments:

Post a Comment